The QI Hub has launched a progressive certification framework in quality improvement. The framework serves to recognize the effort staff dedicate toward achieving improvements both department and hospital-wide, and their contributions to building a culture of quality at the organization. In order to become certified through this program, staff at Boston Medical Center and the Boston HealthNet should submit an application to: Quality Improvement Certification Application.
Bronze: Quality Improvement Learning
- Must complete IHI QI 101-102 and PS 100-102, or equivalent curriculum
- Must pass 25 question knowledge assessment in application form
- Participated substantively as a team member on an improvement project
Silver: Quality Improvement Leadership
- Fulfills all Bronze requirements
- Leads* and completes one quality improvement project of at least 6 months in duration with at least 2 PDSA cycles.
- The improvement project should have had rigorous design, but it is not necessary to achieve sustained improvement.
- Presented work in at least an internal forum (BMC Quality Week, presentation to department)
Gold: Quality Improvement Leadership - Achieves Improvement
- Fulfills all Bronze and Silver requirements
- Leads** and completes two quality improvement project of at least 6 months in duration with at least 2 PDSA cycles that realized sustained improvement for the organization.
- Sustained Improvement: Following implementation of intervention, performance is at or better than goal for a minimum of three months.
Diamond: Quality Improvement Teaching and Advocacy: *By Nomination Only*
- Fulfills all Bronze, Silver and Gold requirements
- Oversees an educational curriculum in department or section for trainees, or
- Has definitive QI educational role in a professional group, or
- Regional or national level leadership in QI (e.g. statewide committee), or
- Promotes/leads rollout of quality as a cultural competency at the organization
Certification Status Leadership Tiers
* Silver Status Applicant:
- Applies QI methodology and tools with mentorship, with an increasing level of independence over time.
- Applies systems-based thinking to articulate a vision for improvement.
- Engages stakeholders, and creates a culture of collective problem-solving and open-mindedness to diverse perspectives.
** Gold Status Applicant:
- Demonstrates all leadership capabilities outlined by a silver status applicant.
- Applies QI methodology and tools with little to no oversight.
- Leverages advanced understanding of the psychological aspects such that the leader may positively influence behavior, activate agency, and apply human factors principles to design an effective, sustainable improvement project.
- Fosters an improvement culture through continuous engagement of local leaders.