Day 1 - School Health Management
This lesson includes five (5) sections and will take about 60 minutes to complete. Please make sure you scroll down the page and participate in all the sections.
- Watch this PPT/video: (7 min)
- Read these sections in Chapter 2 of the MDPH School Health Manual.
- Pages 2-15 to 2-27; and
- Pages 2-30 to 2-31.
- Review the Department of Elementary Secondary Education (DESE) Emergency Management Planning for Schools website. Pay special attention to Updates and Information.
- Read the National Association of School Nurses (NASN) Position Statement: Emergency Preparedness and Response in the School Setting – The Role of the School Nurse. If you are currently working in a school district, find out who is on your school or district emergency response team and make some connections.
- Inventory your school nurse disaster preparedness kit and compare it to the NASN Emergency Response, Equipment and Supplies List for Schools. Pay special attention to the Considerations on the last page. If you don’t yet have a kit, use the list to create one.
- Visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency Site Index. Of special interest on this Index:
- Action Planning Worksheet
- School Violence Prevention and Intervention Checklist
- Continue to scroll down to Training and Developing Staff for:
- Staff Development Checklist
- Staff Skills Survey and Inventory Form
- Enroll in the FEMA IS-100.c: Introduction to the Incident Command System which is recommended for all key personnel involved in school emergency management and incident response.
- Enroll in the NASN course: School Emergency Triage Training Online (SETT)