Turning off the Gaslights: Working with Clients Experiencing the Fallout of Narcissistic Relationships (The 28th Annual Florida Symposia 2022)
Narcissism is a ubiquitous term these days, but when it shows up in therapy—even indirectly—most clinicians aren’t sure how to approach it. The dearth of training on high-conflict personality styles, coupled with a reticence to “label” people who are close to the client but not in the room, has meant that many clients suffering from “narcissistic abuse” in familial, intimate, or workplace relationships don’t get the help they need. This workshop will offer the most up-to-date research on antagonistic personality styles, and provide a practical roadmap for working with clients with patterns of narcissistic abuse. You’ll discover:
- How to identify the characteristics of narcissistic abuse that are often misdiagnosed
- A holistic treatment approach that can be applied trans-theoretically
- An actionable framework for educating clients about narcissism
Ramani Durvasula, PhD, LCP, is a psychologist, and the founder and CEO of LUNA Education, Training and Consulting, LLC. She is also the author of multiple books, including “Don’t You Know Who I Am”: How to Stay Sane in the Era of Narcissism, Entitlement and Incivility and Should I Stay or Should I Go: Surviving a Relationship With a Narcissist.
This program is designed for intermediate psychologists, social workers, psychiatrists, nurses, allied mental health professionals, educators, and other medical professionals.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Apply a holistic view of the dynamics of narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder, and “narcissism-adjacent” personality styles, using a framework that captures the range of antagonistic personality styles.
- Describe the phenomenon of narcissistic abuse/antagonistic relational stress, the manner in which it is manifested, the impact on individuals, and the overlapping patterns that affect clients.
- Explain the dynamics of narcissistic and other antagonistic relationships
- Utilize an actionable framework for working with clients experiencing narcissistic abuse.
- Identify the specific challenges in working with individuals with antagonistic personality styles and/or those who are experiencing antagonistic relational stress
All sessions run Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 12:30pm with one 15 minute break so each day is 3.75 hours of instruction. Breakfast is included.
- Overview of narcissism and other antagonistic personality styles (e.g. borderline, antisocial, histrionic) (diagnostic issues, subtypes, assessment, treatment, impact on clinicians, co-morbidities)
- Introduction of the term “narcissistic abuse” or “antagonistic relational stress” (the patterns associated with this clinical presentation, psychosocial impacts, differentiating and also accounting for the overlap between antagonistic relational stress and other comorbidities such as post-traumatic stress and anxiety disorders)
- Overview of the dynamics of high conflict, antagonistic relationships
- An integrated, transtheoretical model for working with clients experiencing antagonistic relational stress
- Clinician self-care and challenges when working with either antagonistic clients or with the persons experiencing these relationships
The Marriott Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa is located on the Punta Rassa, an 85-acre peninsula on San Carlos Bay in Fort Myers, Florida, just a short distance from Sanibel and Captiva Islands, featuring beautiful beaches and top attractions. Water sports and outdoor activities are abundant nearby including natural trails, bike and kayak rentals.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Marriott Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa with an arrival date of Sunday, February 27, 2022 and a departure date of Thursday, March 3, 2022. Please note there are limited rooms available on February 25th and 26th and March 3rd and 4th.
Room rates start at $259 + a $10 resort fee per day plus applicable taxes (currently 11%). Please note the resort has two (2) sleeping room towers Sanibel Tower and Captiva Tower. Based on total resort availability, guest rooms may be in either tower.
The room block will be open until 5:00PM local time on January 25th, or until it sells out, whichever happens first. After this date, reservations will be accepted on a space and rate available basis.
Guests may use this link to make their reservations online: Book your group rate for Boston University School of Medicine 2022 Guerette Symposia
Individual reservations can be called in to 1-800-767-7777 and reference the Boston University School of Medicine 2022 Guerette Symposia
Self Parking is free. Valet Parking is $20 per day.
Resort Fee includes:
- High Speed Wireless Internet access throughout the resort
- Unlimited access to our world-class Spa facilities, use of the sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, and indoor pool (16 years & up)
- Full use of our state-of-the-art Fitness Center with 24 hour access, complimentary Fitness Classes
- Use of our regulation size basketball court
- Unlimited hours of clay tennis court time, including racquets & balls
- Full use of bicycles on property
- Trolley transportation around the resort complex
- Family board games available for use
- Portable beach chairs, umbrellas and boogie boards available upon request
- Turndown service upon request
- Coffee in your guest room
By staying at the conference venue, you help the host organizations meet their contractual obligations. Please take this into consideration when making your accommodation decision. Thank you!
The Best of Fort Myers - Something for Everyone
Perfectly situated at the nexus of quiet relaxation and exciting activities. Cross the waters to Sanibel Island, explore the natural wonder of the Everglades or enjoy a relaxing round of golf. Also visit popular attractions and exciting activities nearby including the Edison/Ford Winter Estates, Sanibel Outlets, Ft Myers Beach, J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge and the Calusa Nature Center & Planetarium.
Fort Myers is the perfect getaway for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers. Water sports and outdoor activities are abundant near our resort, including nature trails, bike, and kayak rentals. Known as the best shelling spot in North America, head over to Sanibel Island to comb the beach for tiny, perfect pastel coquinas and false angel wings. Or spend the afternoon on Sanibel or Captiva Island beaches.
For more information on the area visit https://www.fortmyers-sanibel.com/
Dr. Ramani Durvasula is a licensed clinical psychologist in Los Angeles, CA and Professor of Psychology at California State University, Los Angeles, and the Founder and CEO of LUNA Education, Training & Consulting, a company that offers a range of programs focused on educating survivors, clinicians, coaches and businesses on the impacts of narcissism on health, wellness and functioning. She takes on entitlement and incivility in “Don’t You Know Who I Am”: How to Stay Sane in the Era of Narcissism, Entitlement and Incivility . She is the author of the modern relationship survival manual Should I Stay or Should I Go: Surviving a Relationship With a Narcissist, and of You Are WHY You Eat: Change Your Food Attitude, Change Your Life. She also has a popular YouTube channel that focuses on narcissism and difficult relationships. The focus of Dr. Durvasula’s clinical, academic and consultative work is the etiology and impact of narcissism and high-conflict, entitled, antagonistic personality styles on human relationships, mental health, and societal expectations. Her work has been featured at SxSW, TEDx, and on a wide range of media platforms including Red Table Talk, the Today Show, Oxygen, Investigation Discovery, Bravo, and she is a featured expert on the digital media mental health platform MedCircle. Dr. Durvasula’s research on personality disorders has been funded by the National Institutes of Health and she is a Consulting Editor of the scientific journal Behavioral Medicine. Dr. Durvasula is an honest, authentic, and brutally honest voice on the struggles raised by narcissism in the US and globally. Learn more at http://doctor-ramani.com/
Speaker has no relevant financial relationships to disclose. Speaker does not plan on discussing unlabeled/investigational uses of a commercial product.
Stephen Brady, PhD | CME Course Director
Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Boston University School of Medicine
Janice Furlong, MSW | Social Work Advisor
Clinical Associate Professor, Boston University School of Social Work
Robert C. Guerette, MD | Planning Committee
President, New England Educational Institute
Carmela A. Townsend, DNP, MS/MBA, RN | Accredited Provider Activity Director
Continuing Medical Education Office, Boston University School of Medicine
Debra M. Winters, APRN-BC, AACRN | CNE Nurse Advisor
Community Research Initiative (CRI)
CME Program Manager: Claire P. Grimble, CMP
Boston University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Boston University School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 15 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Social Workers – New York State
Boston University School of Medicine, Barry M. Manual Continuing Medical Education Office is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0589.
Note: Social Workers must attend all sessions for credit. Partial credit is not allowed.
Continuing Nursing Education Provider Unit, Boston University School of Medicine is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Licensed Mental Health Counselors
It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards to verify CE requirements for their state.
- 15.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Boston University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Boston University School of Medicine designates this Live activity for a maximum of 15.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 15.00 ANCCBoston University School of Medicine Continuing Nursing Education is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
- 15.00 Participation
Register by December 20th using Coupon Code GSF22EB to save $50
Regular Rate: $649
BUSM/BMC/BU Alumni: $470 (use coupon code ALUMNI20 at checkout)
To pay by check, please create an account and email us at email@example.com or call 617-358-5005 and we will assist you.
Substitutions may be made at any time without an additional charge. Refunds, less an $50 administrative fee, will be issued for all cancellations received two weeks prior to the start of the meeting. Should cancellation occur within the two-week window, a credit will be issued, not a refund. Credits will be honored for up to two years. “No shows” are subject to the full course fee. Cancellations/substitution(s) must be made in writing. Refunds or credits will not be issued once the conference has started. This course is subject to change or cancellation.
If you need to cancel your registration, please click here.
Special Services / Dietary Needs
To request reasonable accommodations for disabilities, please notify the Office of Continuing Medical Education in writing at least two weeks prior to the start of the conference. The Office of Continuing Medical Education will work to accommodate dietary requests (including, but not limited to: kosher, vegetarian, low cholesterol, and low sodium) received in writing at least two weeks prior to the start of the conference
The conference organizers may take pictures or record videos during the conference. In registering for the conference, you acknowledge that BUSM may photograph you during the meeting, and you agree that we may include images of yourself, intact or in part, for conference promotional activities or other related endeavors. This material may also appear on the conference's website or associated social media outlets. If you do not wish to be photographed, please let the BUSM representative onsite know