Medication Administration in Schools: What School Nurse Managers Need to Know
What do school nurse managers need to know about overseeing their district’s medication administration and delegation program in Massachusetts schools?
This workshop is designed for public and private School Nurse Managers who are signatories on the Handling, Storage, and Delegation Registration Application with the MA Department of Public Health. Through self-paced activities (2 hours) and an interactive live Zoom session (2 hours), this course will provide School Nurse Managers with the knowledge and tools they need to oversee their district’s Medication Administration Program
NOTE: Medication Administration Managers must take the online course Medication Administration in a School Setting: School Nursing Practice in Massachusetts prior to taking the Medication Manager Course
Participation in this workshop and the online course Medication Administration in a School Setting: School Nursing Practice in Massachusetts is required every three years for school nurses listed as signatories on the district’s MDPH Medication Administration Registration Application.
School Nurses and Nurse Practitioners. Required for School Nurses that are signatories on the Handling, Storage, and Delegation Registration Application with the MA Department of Public Health.
After completing the training, you will be able to:
- Describe the role and responsibilities of the school nurse manager in the medication administration program in schools
- Evaluate a district’s medication program for regulatory compliance
- Develop and implement district medication administration procedures the meet state regulations
- Explain and implement the process for registration with MDPH of the school’s or school district’s medication administration program
|Self-Paced Activity||Approximately 105 minutes (1.75 hours)|
|Zoom session||2 hours|
Zoom Meetings Dates:
(links will be available after registration):
- October 26th, 2021| 2:00 - 4:15 PM
- October 28th, 2021 | 8:45-11:00 AM
- December 15th, 2021 | 9:00-11:00 AM
Boston University School of Medicine asks all individuals involved in the development and presentation of Accredited Continuing Education activities to disclose all financial relationships with ineligible companies. This information is disclosed to all activity participants prior to the start of the educational activity. Boston University School of Medicine has procedures to mitigate all relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies. In addition, faculty members are asked to disclose when any unapproved use of pharmaceuticals and devices is being discussed.
In accordance with the Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, all relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies that faculty, planners, authors, and anyone who may be in control of content has been mitigated.
No faculty has any financial relationships to disclose.
Beverly Heinze-Lacey, MPH,BSN, RN
Director, BU SHIELD
Caitlin Pettengill, DNP, RN
Assistant Director School Health Unit, MDPH.
CME/CNE Program Manager: Lesly Zapata, BA
Boston University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Boston University School of Medicine designates this enduring material of 4.25 ACCNE Credit(s)™, all of which are pharmacology credit.
|Course Release Date:||5/30/2020|
|Course Expiration Date:||6/30/2022|
- 4.25 ANCCBoston University School of Medicine Continuing Nursing Education is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
- 4.25 ANCC Pharmacology
- 4.25 Participation
Participation in this course includes the following steps:
- Enroll and pay the $50 fee
- Complete the self-paced activities.
The self-paced activities will take about 2 hours to complete. Note that live technical support is available weekdays 9 am-5 pm, so plan your learning time accordingly. Once this step is completed, you'll see a link to register for the Zoom meeting.
- Select the training date you prefer and register for the live Zoom session.
Zoom will email you a calendar invitation and link to access the workshop.
- Attend Zoom Meeting
- Claim Credit
After you have completed the Zoom session, BUCME will email information on how to claim credit and obtain your course certificate.